"Taking Maths Further"
The FMSP has worked with Peter Rowlett (lecturer at Nottingham Trent University and presenter of the ‘Travels in a Mathematical World’ podcast series) and Katie Steckles (of Think Maths and Numberphile) to produce a series of podcasts called “Taking Maths Further".
Every episode takes a topic from the A level Maths or Further Maths syllabus and looks at its applications. Each episode includes an interview with someone working using related mathematics. Each podcast has an associated puzzle and further reading designed to stimulate students’ interest in mathematics outside of the curriculum.
- Episode 1 - Crime Scene Investigation, forensics and Bayes' theorem
- Episode 2 - Statistical sampling in archaeology
- Episode 3 - Cellular automata, graph theory and brains
- Episode 4 - Nautical Radar and quadratic equations
- Episode 5 - CERN and standard deviation
- Episode 6 - Exponential growth in Pensions
- Episode 7 - Astrophysics and trigonometry
- Episode 8 - Packing shapes and graphene
- Episode 9 - Structural engineering and coordinates
- Episode 10 - Numbers, infinite and music
- Episode 11 - Programming and boolean algebra
- Episode 12 - Regression and traffic management
- Episode 13 - Vectors matrices and hearing
- Episode 14 - Maths and art
- Episode 15 - Accountancy and cash management
- Episode 16 - Actuarial science and normal distributions
- Episode 17 - Nuclear reactors and modelling
- Episode 18 - Medical Imaging and Fourier Analysis
- Episode 19 - Computer games and mechanics
- Episode 20 - Calculus and fluid dynamics