CPD for Supporting Students with STEP and AEA Math
The FMSP will be running three national programmes of CPD to support teachers helping students to develop problem-solving skills and to prepare for STEP/AEA/MAT examinations.
Details of these events can be found on the regional events pages under Regions or by going to STEP/AEA/MAT events.
The three programmes are:
Supporting students with STEP and AEA Mathematics
This course will also be of interest to any teachers who would like to introduce year 13 students to deeper mathematical problem-solving skills. The focus for this will be the STEP and AEA mathematics examinations . The course aims are:
- to provide teachers with an opportunity to think about, discuss and hear others’ experiences of supporting students to develop their problem-solving skills;
- to give teachers time to work on problems themselves in order to gain insight into the challenges of supporting students to develop these skills;
- to give information about the STEP and AEA examinations themselves;
- to introduce teachers to useful resources to use with students and advice on how to set up problem-solving support in their own school/college.
Incorporating mathematical problem-solving alongside the regular curriculum during year 12
The course will demonstrate how to incorporate problem-solving materials alongside AS Mathematics during year 12. It will be also be useful for teachers who are helping students prepare for the Mathematics Admissions Test (MAT) for Oxford University entrance or for STEP and AEA examinations.The course aims are:
- To introduce teachers to specially created problem-solving resources materials which link to the standard AS Mathematics curriculum (C1/C2);
- To introduce teachers to a series of problem-solving masterclass resources suitable for use with year 12 students;
- To look at how to use past paper questions from STEP/AEA/MAT with year 12 students;
- To provide brief information about STEP/AEA/MAT examinations.
Student and Teacher Problem-Solving Conferences
At these events students and teachers will look at various aspects of problem-solving skills. Activities will include working on problems as a team and individually, and writing and communicating solutions.
In one session teachers, who accompany their students to the event, will work with their students on problems. In addition there will be separate sessions for students and a CPD strand for teachers.The conference aims are:
- To provide students with experience of problem-solving in groups using Senior Team Mathematics Challenge materials;
To provide student with an opportunity to focus on writing and presenting clear solutions to mathematical problems;
- To provide students with an opportunity to try past STEP/AEA/MAT questions;
- To give students a more in-depth session on a mathematical topic which is useful for problem-solving but which is less prominent in standard A level Mathematics and Further Mathematics;
- To give teachers time to work on problems themselves in order to gain insight into the challenges of supporting students to develop these skills;
- To introduce teachers to useful resources to use with students and advice on how to set up problem-solving support in their own school/college.