Teaching Discrete Mathematics
Teaching Discrete Mathematics (TD) is a new professional development course which has been written specifically for the new Mathematics A levels and is certificated by MEI. In the 2017 A levels, Discrete Mathematics exists exclusively within Further Mathematics. The basic content in the TD course appears under three titles in the specifications published by the different Awarding Organisations;
- Discrete Mathematics - AQA & OCR A,
- Decision Mathematics - Edexcel
- Modelling with Algorithms - OCR B (MEI)
The TD course covers the majority of content for all awarding organisations, including all common elements but excluding a few pure mathematics topics that appear only in a single specification.
The course aims to enable participants to:
- gain a deep understanding of the application of algorithms to a wide range of problems
- develop skills with using standard algorithms to solve optimisation problems
- learn project planning processes which minimise overall costs and make best use of available resources
- develop confidence with incorporating practical work within
- be able to link topics in Discrete/Decision Mathematics with other areas of mathematics
TD provides the opportunity for sustained professional development. The course is scheduled over a 6 month period and consists of:
- two face to face study days
- a series of live online sessions
- dedicated web-based teaching and learning resources
Further information about the course
TD Course Information Oct-2018 gives more detailed information about the content and structure of the course.
Who should apply?
TD is designed for A Level Mathematics teachers who are new to teaching Discrete/Decision Mathematics or who have previously taught D1 but who wish to broaden and deepen their understanding. Suitable applicants would include:
- an experienced teacher of A level Mathematics who wishes to learn more about discrete mathematics;
- an individual, currently not teaching in a school, who wishes to undertake a sustained professional development course to prepare for future employment;
- a teacher seeking to gain certification that may give them more options in the future;
- a teacher wanting to develop their own subject knowledge to enable them to confidently and competently teach discrete maths as part of their A level teaching;
- a teacher who has completed Teaching A Level Mathematics (TAM), Teaching Further Mathematics (TFM), Teaching Mechanics (TM) or Teaching Statistics (TS).
Course dates and applications
Applications for TD (starting in October 2018) are now open.
Please submit an online application if you wish to apply for a place on this course.
TD Study Schedule October 2018
TD Stages in the application and enrolment process
TD Frequently Asked Questions
If you would like more information about the course please contact Jeff Trim, TD Course Leader.
The FMSP holds the NCETM Continuing Professional Development Standard.
To find out about the FMSP in your area please select a region from the map below:
The FMSP is changing to the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme (AMSP).
If you wish to stay informed about the AMSP, then please complete the initial registration form for schools or individuals.